1. Put the ice cream and the milk in the blender and blend until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. If the mixture is too thick to blend, let it sit in the blender for a few minutes to give the ice cream a chance to soften. Once blended, if the mixture is too thick to drink, add milk and blend again. If it's too thin, add ice cream and re-blend. When you're happy with the consistency, pour the mixture into a glass and serve with a spoon or a straw.
2. Even though the ingredients are very basic, you can make a more or less rich milkshake by varying the fat content of the ice cream and milk you choose. A shake made with strawberry Haagen Dazs ice cream and whole milk will be much richer than one made with strawberry frozen yogurt and skim milk.
3. For a slight variation, add 3 tablespoons of malted milk powder to make a strawberry malt.
4. If you only like to have strawberry milkshakes occasionally but you want to make sure you always have the ingredients on hand, buy some strawberry syrup. It won't take up as much space as a carton of strawberry ice cream and it won't spoil easily. You can find strawberry syrup near the chocolate and caramel ice cream toppings at the grocery store. As long as you have vanilla ice cream and milk on hand, you'll have everything you need to make a strawberry milkshake whenever you want.
5. For a slightly healthier variation, use real strawberries with reduced fat or reduced sugar vanilla ice cream and skim milk